Peroxiredoxin 6 gene: A new physiological and... →
BBC September Tides (Seabeck, WA) →
PLoS ONE: Quadrupling Muscle Mass in Mice by... →
Where is Iris? →
BioNumbers- the database of useful biological... →
A database put together by Ron Milo, Paul Jorgensen and Mike Springer at Harvard. You got to love this, currently it is in Google Spreadsheet format.
recent presentation examining disease resistance mechanisms in oysters (in this instance “native” refers to Martha’s Vineyard, MA
Pacific Northwest Water Quality Data Sponsored by... →
for Shellfish Growers in the Pacific NW
How Docs & Spreadsheets grew at Google →
DNA Video: Extracting Human DNA At Home by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
UPS: iwork →
End of the summer or end of an era?
Well, some would call it the end of the summer, and others the end of an era. Personally, I’ll stick with end of the summer. Zing! How ‘bout them apples, Undergrads? So, after going through an unbelievable amount of that stuff ————————————————-> over the course of the summer,...
Sea Star - Washington Sea Grant →
Inside: Geoduck Studies, Manila Clam Aquaculture, BiS
End of summer!
Wow, it’s hard to believe that it’s the end of summer already. Most of our work is summed up in our abalone poster, although it doesn’t fully capture the amount of work (and mistakes) that the project entailed. We’ve both really enjoyed our time working in Dr. Robert’s lab and have learned a lot about molecular bio research techniques. Cullen will be back in the...
Science on Tap: a science cafe →
“A place to eat, drink, and talk about science”
pairwise comparisons →
FedEx | Track: Samples arriving today →
There are three DNA master plates in the cooler and a list of samples in a ziploc taped to the outside of the cooler.
It is almost coming together
It has been a rather productive week (even without Cullen, yea really). Trying to get some closure to the abalone gene hunt. The plan is a poster will go to the printer next week. We have a few genes, three have been outed (see below post). Been working the bugs out of real-time. I think jiuhgbuyterbvcko0lkjfdsaq1xcvbmp we have got some stuff figured out. The newest tissue samples seem to be...
RNA Isolation: what the wavy lines on the spec... →
NCBI: Abalone sequences →
now with real accession numbers
Ahhh, a new week!
Well, I for one am glad that a new week has rolled around. Overall, last week wasn’t too shabby, until the final two days. I got my notebook in order and that’s how it will stay, so that was good. Here’s a quick rundown of how last week went for me: Monday: Fine. Tuesday: And. Wednesday: Dandy. Thursday: See picture —-> Comicbook Guy from the Simpsons would have...
So in the past week we’ve been working to PCR genes from the various cDNA’s we created from different abalone tissues. One day Cullen and I ran 41 tubes between us! The results are looking good so far, showing that my MnSD gene is expressed in most tissues. Also, Dr. Roberts and I successfully obtained RNA from abalone tissue using a PowerSoil extraction kit, which was pretty cool....